Banana Bread recipe that is handy for the whole family
This recipe is really handy for the whole family and a treat for anyone that wants something nice after a training session on the GAA pitch or in the gym. This is the Avoca recipe but I try to make it slightly differently because I wouldn’t use 4oz of sugar, the bananas make it very sweet. I would reduce the amount of sugar to 2 oz or add in some ground almond instead. This recipe would also be great for kids and a loaf of this bread doesn’t last long in my house.
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 75ml/3 fl oz sunflower oil
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- 65g/2.5 oz pecan nuts chopped
- 4 medium-sized ripe bananas, mashed
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Mix in the eggs, sunflower oil and vanilla essence but do not beat.
- Fold in the pecan nuts (or other nuts) and mashed banana using a fork. Do not beat.
- Spoon into a lined 900g/2lbs loaf tin and bake in an oven preheated to 180C/350F/gas mark4 for 50-60mins until the loaf is golden brown and springs back when prodded gently.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto a wire rack.